Before you submit a complaint through the Washington State Student Complaint Portal, please consider the following:

    Is your complaint about a request for reduced or refunded tuition due to COVID-19?

    Each institution sets its own tuition. Students with tuition and fee complaints should contact their school, their student government, or their state representatives.

    Have you exhausted your school’s complaint/appeals process?

    Before you file a complaint through the Student Complaint Portal, we encourage you to try to work out your situation directly with your school. However, we understand this is sometimes impossible due to the nature of a complaint.

    Is your complaint regarding a FERPA violation?

    Complaints regarding a violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) cannot be processed through the portal. FERPA complaints should be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education. You may request a complaint form by calling 202-260-3887.

    Is your complaint regarding funds administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs?

    Please submit your complaint directly to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Didn’t find your answer?


Be advised that copies of complaints will be made available to the school involved and may be made available to other
federal, state, or private agencies, and—upon request—to members of the public.